progress this week

I did some testing with a sample Hall sensor  (US5881LUA) and 1/4 inch magnets. Looks like it will work out, so I went and ordered a set of 160 of them.   

While I'm waiting for them to be delivered, I cleaned up the manuals.  I cleaned the key surfaces the first day - they were pretty filthy and felt gritty and some did not move well - but there is a limit to what can be done in situ.   This weekend since i couldn't yet work on installing the sensors, I took all the keys out and cleaned them and the beds.
Here we are midway in returning the keys to the Swell:





One of them is initialed and dated  5/17/90  I'm assuming this was someone who worked on it - there had been a reconditioning at some point in the past, felt was replaced in the manuals and pedals and in the linkage to the combination action.   There were also a couple of stops added - an 8' Tuba, and 8' Open Diapason.

I really didn't want to do this part, but I'm so glad now it is done. When I have the sensors in and get to play it will be much more pleasant. The keys are in nice shape - there's a small chip on one, but that's it.  

Next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Improving the Manuals

What I have so far

Unit Testing is my friend