What I have so far




My console has been picked up from the dealer, but won't get delivered to me till next week. That gives me time to work on the electronics.  I have a working prototype of the midi scanner for the pedalboard.

My plan is to hook up the pedalboard first - partly because I expect it to be easier, the mechanism is bigger, more accessible, and there's a lot less of them.  Mostly though I would really like to have a working pedalboard to play with while I'm working out what to do about the manuals and stops.

My design uses an Metro Mini from Adafruit for the controller and a pair of MCP23017 port expander chips available from your favorite supplier.

The cable connects to a usb port on my mac, which is running Hairless Midi Bridge

I have small array of pushbuttons standing in for pedals and it works - when I push a button, the correct note sounds in Hauptwerk, Grand Orge, Garage Band, or whatever.  Woohooo!

I will upload the code to github, but right now it's in a very primitive state. I'm using code from tttapa's MIDI Controller library but it doesn't support the MCP23017 so I sort of borrowed the bits I needed for actual midi encoding and left the controller class behind.  In theory I could have expanded the class to add support for my chip but I wasn't feeling that patient.

When the organ arrives and I get a chance to dig around inside, I'll figure out what I'm going to do about power and if I can use the existing pedal contacts as-is or if I've got to add switches. I would like to do the simplest solution leveraging as much of the existing electrical circuits as possible and leave upgrading to fancy hall sensors and whatnot for the future.

Next...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Improving the Manuals

Unit Testing is my friend